Friday, August 12, 2011

Voodoo Doughnuts

Photobucket
We were told that Voodoo Doughnuts was a must see when we got to the city, but every time we would pass it there would be a long line all the way around the building to get in. Even at 8 am or 11 pm?! So Bryan and I decided that we would go on our last day, a Monday, thinking that Mondays have got to be slow.
We woke up early, got on our tandem, and biked to Voodoo. To our dismay the line was still way out the door [kind of like the lines you find at Disneyland]. So Bryan and I thought, "it's either now or never", so we stood in a 45 minute line.
I don't think we knew what we were getting into because as we got to the front ready to order our doughnuts, we realized the menu had hundreds of options.
Anxiously, I told the cash register man, "uh, uh, uh, can we just get a box of your favorite doughnuts?!" So as the man is boxing a dozen, Bryan realizes that there are 5 gallon buckets of day old doughnuts for only $5 [I think he was more excited about the bucket than the doughnuts].
Seventeen dollars later, we exit with a box and a bucket--both overflowing with doughnuts. We find a picnic table, choose our first doughnut, and bite in, only to remember that we don't really like doughnuts.
When I was little I LOVED doughnuts. Once I told my grandparents that doughnuts and Jesus were my two favorite things. We both haven't had them since we were young and with all the excitement of a 45 minute line and the rush of ordering, we forgot that.
We also forgot milk. Bad choice. And, we forgot that we biked there, so with the bucket on the handlebars and the box in my arms, we tandemed our way back to the car. Every time my knee would hit the bucket, a doughnut would pop into the air and onto the street. It must have been a sight to see =)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
My face in pain from having no milk.
Don't worry, these doughnuts didn't go to waste. Later, Bryan's family made rolled pork loin with a doughnut stuffing [it was unbelievably good] and then a bread pudding with homemade ice cream on top =) Thank God, for them. We had no idea what to do with that many !

0 comments: