Sunday, May 19, 2013

Leaving Home



In two weeks, we are leaving our home in Davis, spending some time in the Bay Area and the Pacific Northwest, and then hopefully this fall traveling outside of the states. 

Why? 

I've been trying to figure out the words for why. To culminate all the events that have lead up to this decision would be impossible for a blog post (plus I'm not very good with words). But I keep coming back to this passage from a book Richie Norton wrote that seems to resonate with everything Bryan and I are feeling. 

"There is nothing like the death of someone [or something] you love to strip away the frivolities of life and magnify those things that are vitally important. When your entire life is suddenly staring you down, and you realize how very little of it makes any real sense, starting something stupid is suddenly the very smartest thing you want to do."

From here Richie describes how he took his family on a three month traveling and healing adventure. 

"When we returned home, I stopped pursuing any project that wasn't directly aligned with the overarching goals of my life. I spent the next few years focused only on the things that mattered the most to me. It wasn't an easy decision to make--people thought I was out of my mind, or completely bereft (or likely both)... However, as I faced the fears associated with actually making the leap and actively pursuing meaningful success--on my own terms--I entered what has proven to be the most deeply satisfying, and successful, era of my life so far. " 


If anything this past year has taught us, it is that this life is short and it's easy to forget about pursuing meaningful success. After long talks, prayer, and trusting the voice inside our heads, we are excited to take some time to take a step back and regroup. Pour more into our crafts. Love deeply. See the beauty of creation. Do some things we've always wanted to do. And to be.

Hopefully, this can be a place where our plans can unfold here as they happen.



0 comments: