Tuesday, July 24, 2012

2nd annual beach house

I judge who I can be good friends with based off of whether I can imagine camping or renting a beach house with you and our future families. Any one else do this?! 

I love that our friends are practicing this--putting aside a weekend every summer to reconnect with each other. This past year many of us were off pursuing our dreams: getting teaching credentials, preparing to move to Geneva, finishing grad school in a different state. Nonetheless, we've made the time to reconnect. To ask the question: 'how was your year?' To feel reenergized just being around people who are fervently pursuing their dreams. 

I love believing that every year I will see them, on a beach near Santa Cruz, as they grow into themselves. You know how people you see everyday don't seem to notice your hair growing longer or when you were a kid how tall you've gotten? But it's the people that see you once in a while that exclaim, "Your hair is getting so long!" or "Last I saw you, you were this tall!" That's like beach house to me, I get to witness the drastic growth that one year can do. It's a very precious place to be. To recognize in a person that they've come a long way. I know over this past year I have grown so much: graduated with my degree, started my own business, lost my cousin, and learned a lot about selflessness entering my second year of marriage. Many that were there have had their own year of hardships and triumphs and I get to see how far they've come and where they are heading in this next year. I hope that my future years are full of this process of reconnecting and witnessing people I love become a deeper and stronger them.

---

day one.


day two.





0 comments: